India is the second largest consumer of LPG gas, from households to industries LPG is ubiquitous in every sector. Ministry of Commerce and Industries, and OISD-162 for restricted circulation only safety in installation and maintenance of LPG cylinder manifold has some guidelines regarding safety tips and installation process to prevent the hazardous incident.
According to guidelines from IS 6044-1(2000): Code of practice for Liquefied Petroleum Gas Storage Installation, there are a few rules and regulations, an industry must adhere to.
The equipment such as pressure regulators, pigtails, valves, manifolds, and other installation equipment must comply with the statutory provision or relevant Indian Standard.
Filling of Cylinders
As per the safety guidelines issued by the Chief Controller of Explosives, Government of India, no person is allowed to fill the gas cylinder with any compressed gas. A person without an authorized license issued by Chief Controller is not allowed to pose, import, or transport so filled or intended to fill with compressed gas.
Unless the cylinder is a “composite cylinder” manufactured of resin impregnated continuous filaments wound over a metallic or non-metallic liner.
The testing and inspection of the filed cylinder should be issued certificates provided by the inspecting authority in respect of the cylinder and its valve.
Documents For License
- Several cylinders in a manifold and series numbers of the cylinder.
- Name and address of LPG gas agency, if it is in West Bengal, then, LPG Gas agency in West Bengal.
- Specification of the cylinder and its valve.
- Test and Inspection certificates.
- Test and inspection certificates concerning the fitted valves and to be fitted to the cylinder.
- Scrutiny Fee For Inspection.
Handling of Cylinder
Cylinders must be handled according to specific instructions in storage and industrial use.
- The cylinder must be moved and transported using conveyors, trolleys, and crates of adequate strength.
- The cylinder should be handled carefully to avoid falling upon or any damage leading to any undue shock.
- It is strictly prohibited under the rules issued by CCOE, to slide, drop or play with the cylinder in an upright position.
- The cylinder is in an upright position and secured so it won’t fall or it cannot roll.
- There must be dedicated storage rooms, as working place shall not be classified as storage rooms.
Storage Of Cylinder
When you are taking gas agency west Bengal, you must be aware of the storage rules, to avoid mishandling and leakage.
- Cylinders must be stored in a cool and dry place, which is well-ventilated undercover. It should be kept away from boilers, open flames, steam pipes, and any source of heat which is easily accessible from the cylinders.
- The construction of storage must be fire-resistant.
- LPG gas cylinders should be always kept in an upright position.
- Cylinders should not be too close to a water source or in any other condition that will cause them to corrode.
- The cylinder must not be kept with any combustible material.
- The empty cylinder shall be segregated from the filled one, and the empty cylinder must be taken care that all valves are tightly shut.
Testing of cylinders
If you are taking LPG gas distributorship or LPG gas agency you must know the periodicity of examination of cylinders
- The cylinder should not be filled with compressed gas until it is examined for the hydrostatic test or hydrostatic scratch test. Apart from that, there are other tests too that help in analyzing the quality of cylinder as specified by IS:8868 issued by the Bureau of Indian Standards.
SHIVGAS is a leading LPG gas agency in West Bengal, that adheres to rules and regulations set in the Gas Cylinders Rule 2004, by the central government act. Before providing distributorship of private gas agency in West Bengal, or providing manifold installation to industrial or commercial use, they follow the guidelines for promoting safe and clean energy distribution across the state and country.